4.15.2009

SOME THOUGHTS ON PROCESS...

"I don't care too much about the medium. I don't even care too much about the object. I really care about the process." -Oliver Herring

I've been hand-sewing all of my quilt blocks. Sure, my sewing machine lives in South Carolina right now, but I truly prefer to hand-stitch. When using a machine, the process is exactly that-using a machine. More time is spent preparing the machine and fabric while the actual sewing takes little time and effort. Stitching by hand means every second is spent connecting one piece of fabric to another, stitch by stitch.

Also, when I use the sewing machine I feel once-removed from my material. I'm interacting with plastic knobs and metal gears, which are interacting with the fabric. I prefer to take out the middleman and alter the fabric with my own two hands. (This is perhaps why I've never taken to metalworking. There's too much safety gear standing between me and the material).

So my pieces take a long time, and I can't really price them to sell, but I enjoy the process. Ah, the trade-off.

No comments:

Post a Comment